Thomas Fitzherbert

Thomas Fitzherbert was born in 1727 and married Margaret Langford.


Fitzherbert entered his first service in the royal navy and passed the lieutenant’s examination.


February 2:
He was appointed a lieutenant.


March 14:
He was promoted to commander on the Speedwell, an 8-gun sloop.


He commanded the Senegal of 14 guns in the Downs.

February 12:

Fitzherbert returned to Plymouth with the captured ship, Comte d’Artois of 16 guns, a privateer out of Dunkirk.

He was in Plymouth. His ship master, Moore, was arrested ashore.

He was transferred to and commanded the frigate Niger of 32 guns off the coast of France. He captured the Duc de Mazarine of 12 guns, a French privateer 20 leagues off the southwest of Ushant.

Fitzherbert wrote Treatise on the Currents of the Sea and was thanked by the admiralty.

July 10:
He was promoted to post captain of the Wager of 24 guns.

He temporarily commanded the Venus of 32 guns.


April 12:
He was assigned to the Adventure of 32 guns and sailed from Plymouth to England’s southeast coast.

June 22:
He sailed the Adventure to Port Royal, Jamaica in the West Indies.


July 10:
Fitzherbert arrived in Charleston, North Carolina from Havana aboard the Adventure.

August 6:
He sailed to Jamaica from Pensacola.


January 6:
He sailed on the Adventure to the Gulf of Mexico and South America.


August 31:
He remained captain of the Adventure on the West Indies Station in Port Royal, Jamaica and sailed to the Gulf of Mexico, South America, and Hispaniola.


He became the captain of the Renown.


March 2:
He remained on the Renown at the Jamaica station.

June 6:
He departed for Spithead, England.

July 5:
The Renown arrived at Spithead.

July 21:
He sailed then to Longreach, England.


November 11:
He was assigned captain of the Dublin of 74 guns, a guardship at Plymouth.


He captained the Dublin on cruises.


He took the Dublin to be fitted for ordinary at Plymouth.

February 25:
He became captain on the re-commissioned Raisonnable of 64 guns and was ordered to the North America station under Admiral Howe.

December 24: 
He was captain on the Raisonnable.  Captured the Dalton, an American brig, at 9 pm and took the prize to Plymouth.


January 19:
He removed the Dalton prisoners to the Bellisle of 64 guns.

March 2:
He sailed to Plymouth to refit Raisonnable.

March 23:
He sailed for America on the Raisonnable.


July 11:
He remained captain on the Raisonnable, under Lord Howe’s squadron off Sandy Point, Rhode Island, passing quite close to the French fleet upon arriving. Weather prevented the fleet from engaging the French Admiral d’Estaing’s fleet and the two fleets dispersed.

Fitzherbert left the Raisonnable.


July 6:
He was captain of the Royal Oak of 74 guns and lost 4 killed with 12 wounded in an engagement between the fleet under Byron at the Battle of Grenada against Admiral d’Estaing’s fleet off St. Vincent’s.


He took the Royal Oak to be refitted and coppered at Portsmouth and the crew was paid off.

He was appointed to the newly launched Belliqueux of 64 guns. He was captain until the ship was ordered to the West Indies where he could not go due to the climate and diseases. He was not given another ship to command.


He was captain of the Alexander of 74 guns in Portsmouth, but peace came and the ship was broken up.


He was appointed captain to the Powerful of 74 guns, a new ship assigned as a guardship at Plymouth.


He left the Powerful and was paid off.


September 2:
He was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral of the Blue.


February 1:
He was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral of the Red.

April 25:
His wife Margaret died at home in Bath, England.


April 12:
He was advanced to Vice-Admiral of the Blue.

July 4:
He was promoted to Vice-Admiral of the White.

September 13:
Fitzherbert died at the age of 67 and was buried in Stoke Damerel, Devon, England.


He had two sons, both named Thomas, one a captain when his father died, and a daughter, Anna Alicia.