Visit La Renommée’s Notable Historical Locations
The British considered the fortress of Louisbourg in Cape Breton a serious threat to their colonial commerce and defenses if ownership were to revert again to the French after its capture in 1758. They razed the fort during the Seven Years’ War (French and Indian War in America), with many of its cut stones shipped to build Halifax and Sidney, Nova Scotia. One-fourth of the fort was rebuilt in the 1960s and 1970s and is currently a Canadian National Historic Site. Reenactments, period food, and period-costumed guides give its visitors an enjoyable cultural experience of the era. Each year over 75,000 visitors come by land and sea to tour the fortress. The fortress was closely involved in the history of the la Renommée during the War of Austrian Succession under the command of Captain Guy François Coëtnempren de Kersaint.
Staunton Harold Hall, part of the landscape of Leicestershire and Captain Washington Shirley’s residence, who captured la Renommée from the French and was her first British commander. The manor left the possession of the Earl Ferrers in the early 1950s and now is privately owned. It is considered a fine example of Georgian Palladian architectural design. Period furnishings occupy many of the public rooms that are available for conferences and wedding celebrations. Its parklands are opened to the public. The Midlands manor is visited by tens of thousands each year.
Captain François de Saint-Alouarn’s old family château, located in Brittany approximately 4 miles northwest of Quimper, is now part of a privately owned farm. The fort tower is all that remains standing. Captain Saint-Alouarn commanded la Renommée when it was captured.
Brest, fortified during Roman times, grew because of its enormous importance as a naval center. Although the port suffered during the Seven Years War, it flourished again during the American War of Independence as a key French shipbuilding center. Unfortunately, little of old Brest still remains. Allied forces heavily bombed the port during World War II when it was the site of a German submarine base. However, the Château de Brest survived the bombings with only light damage. Now, almost 1,700 years old, it is the oldest castle in the world still in use. Today it houses Musée National de la Marine museum collections and naval offices visited by over 6,000 people every year. La Renommée was launched at Brest and was her home port while under French possession until 1747.
Port Royal, Jamaica, after the devastating earthquake of 1692 and a ravaging fire in 1703, suffered another earthquake in 1907 destroying more structures. No longer awaiting the return of pirate ships, the small town provides a dock for cruise ships and welcomes tourists to fill its remaining streets and shops. It has become a minor tourist destination accommodating tens of thousands each season. The town is a well-known underwater archaeological site for research into 17th- and 18th-century Caribbean life and technology. La Renommée after capture by the British was renamed the Renown in 1748 and was posted at the Jamaica station for most of its career.
*Click the blue buttons for links to more information on visiting the locations.